Barnicoz Tech Barnicoz Tech Author
Title: Rhys Webb made his Wales debut against Italy in the 2012 Six Nations "Heartbroken" Rhys Webb says he will not change his decision to join Toulon in 2018 - even though it means he will not be eligible to play for Wales. A Welsh Rugby Union rule change means players taking up a new deal with a team outside Wales must have won 60 caps to be able to play Test rugby. Scrum-half Webb, capped 28 times, says it is a "disgrace" he was not warned the policy change was a possibility. "I don't know how long it's going to take me to get over it," said Webb, 28. "It's a joke. I'm disappointed. Representing your country means so much to me and being told I won't be able to play for them is heartbreaking." 'No-one mentioned it was going to change' Webb's decision to leave Ospreys at the end of the season was announced on 10 October. The British and Irish Lions player has signed a three-year deal with Toulon. At the time, the Top 14 side said Webb would continue playing for his country as "a fair deal has been found in good faith with regard to its national selection in the interest of both parties". But the WRU this week announced a major change to its senior international selection policy for players based outside Wales. The previous policy, known as 'Gatland's Law', meant head coach Warren Gatland could pick only four players from clubs outside Wales, though there were caveats. That quota was due to drop to two wildcard picks for the 2019-20 season. Webb said: "I made my mind up on the basis that the policy was the wildcard system. No-one had mentioned it was going to change. "I signed for Toulon on the basis if I was playing well I could still be considered. It was still such a tough decision. I felt I had to speak to the Ospreys face to face. It was heartbreaking to tell them. "No-one had told me [about the policy change]. Not even the Ospreys had mentioned in when I went to see them." Webb says he contacted Gatland after his move to three-time European champions Toulon was announced, and they later discussed the switch. "He explained there could be a new system in place," said Webb. "He didn't say there was or there is, just talks about it potentially happening." 'I felt I was being devalued' Webb is in the last season of a national dual contract. The WRU pays 60% of his salary and Ospreys the rest. He said the WRU offered him a contract extension that did not meet his expectations. "I listened to the offer from the WRU and I didn't feel they were valuing me with the right offer. I felt I was being devalued," he said. "The Toulon offer was one I couldn't turn down. It was a dream come true to play for a club like that. Their history in European rugby speaks for itself. "These chances don't come round often." 'I'm very disappointed with Welsh rugby' Webb says since the WRU policy change was announced, no-one from the Welsh governing body or Ospreys has explained how the new rules apply to him. "I probably would have liked someone to come and explain to me how I'd been captured," he said. "It's baffling. I'm very disappointed with Welsh rugby right now." BBC Sport Wales asked Webb if, as Gatland has suggested, he could try to opt out of moving to Toulon. He replied: "I won't be doing that. My future lies in Toulon." Webb was also asked what he would have done if the 60-cap rule had been in place before he signed. "I just know playing for Wales is why you play the game," he said. "Being picked for Wales is still a dream now. To know that won't be happening again is hurtful, it's genuinely just upsetting." The WRU had been asked to respond, but declined to do so, saying in a statement: "Thanks for the opportunity [to reply], but we are happy that we have discussed the WRU's position in full on this subject already in the open media forum held earlier this week."
Author: Barnicoz Tech
Rating 5 of 5 Des:
Hamilton is looking for his fourth straight win at the US Grand Prix after victories in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Lewis Hamilton says he has &...
Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes
Hamilton is looking for his fourth straight win at the US Grand Prix after victories in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Lewis Hamilton says he has "no plans" to 'take a knee' during the American national anthem before Sunday's United States Grand Prix.
Hamilton, 32, said he thought the movement protesting against racial injustice in the US was "awesome".
But the world championship leader added his priority was to win Sunday's race.
"I don't plan on allowing all the BS that's surrounding the topic pull me down in my striving to win the title," said the Mercedes driver.
"While I have opinions and feelings on the situation, I have no plans to do anything."
The protests were started by NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who sat during the national anthem in August 2016, before opting to kneel instead.
Other players followed suit, and criticism from President Donald Trump in September this year has led to protests spreading.
Hamilton - who has previously made clear his opposition to Trump - last month intimated he might consider 'taking a knee' when the national anthem is played before the race in Austin, Texas.
But before the race on Thursday, he said: "Of course there has been a lot of mention of it. Not of the kneeling, just the whole situation.
"I know a lot of people in America. I get quite a good view of what is happening here in the States and opinions about the movement, which is pretty huge.
"I have posted about it [on social media] and I respect it highly; the movement Kaepernick started I think is awesome.
"I am here to win, that is my priority at the moment, so I am not really focused on anything else at the moment.
"Winning here is the most important for me. In the midst of all that's going on in the country - you know what I am talking about - that is a priority for me."http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/1B6B/production/_98391070_colin_kaepernick_getty.jpg
Eli Harold, Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid of the San Francisco 49ers kneel on the sideline during the anthem prior to the game against the Dallas Cowboys.
Hamilton is 59 points clear of Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel in the championship and will take his fourth title on Sunday, with three races to go, if he wins the race and the German is lower than fifth.
But he said "nothing has changed" in the way he is approaching the weekend.
"I anticipate [Ferrari] will be very strong here and for the next four races. That is why nothing changes for me. I just have to keep the pressure on."
Hamilton said he did not mind when he wins the title.
"I couldn't care whether it's the last race, as long as it is done."

'Huge admiration for Kaepernick'

Hamilton said he knew Kaepernick and was a "big admirer of what he started".
He added: "No-one has done that since Martin Luther King.
"It is crazy to think when slavery was abolished in 1865, and 1833 in the UK, and to think that still 100 years later we've still got the same problem. People are still divided, there is still racism, still discrimination, it's sickening.
"Equality and diversity is a really important thing and it is great to see some places applying more diversity, in fashion shows and so on. Same with this sport, a lot of kids from different ethnicities trying to get into F1.
"It is great to see people standing up for their beliefs. Particularly with Kaepernick sacrificing his career for the greater good. Just that alone is admirable and I have huge admiration for him.
"It kind of puts me on the spot, what do I do? To be continued."

About Author

Advertisement

Post a Comment

 
Top